Our mission is to develop well-rounded students with the love of learning, integrity, character and confidence to realize their full potential and make a difference in the world.
Southridge has affectionately been described as 'a lighthearted place of serious purpose' and we want you to know...it's true! If you're interested in working in an energizing environment with a team of dedicated professionals who like to work hard and have fun, please keep reading...
SENIOR SCHOOL UNIVERSITY COUNSELLOR (FULL-TIME)
We are currently inviting applications for the position of Senior School University Counsellor. This position is full-time (1.0 FTE) and will commence September 1, 2019.
Working as part of the school’s Student Support Services department, the University Counsellor is responsible for helping students evaluate and realize educational and career options while providing advice and support to students in university planning, selection and the application process.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a counselling programme that informs, educates and advises students and parents in the university planning, selection and application process – familiarity with the BC High School requirements is helpful.
- Assist with the application process, resulting in admission to one or more of a students preferred university/college options.
- Emphasize and develop the ability of each student as a leader and primary decision-maker in the process of gaining university admission.
- Teach Career Education and assist with career exploration and experiential learning opportunities throughout the year.
- In partnership with the Director of University Counselling coordinate and plan the summer internship program. Familiarity with co-operative education and work experience programs would be an asset.
- Participate in post-secondary information events, and attend professional networking groups, committees and conferences to ensure updated knowledge of post-secondary policies and trends in admissions.
- Willingness to travel to campuses, and ability to market and promote key features of Southridge’s Senior School Program to university admissions representatives.
- Knowledge of scholarships and scholarship application processes would be an asset
- Training and experience in counselling Senior School students on university and college applications and criteria
- Experience with Canadian, US and UK university admissions procedures
- Training in and knowledge of career counselling theories --- such as strengths-based and career-life transition counselling strategies.
- Eligibility for teacher certification in BC independent schools
- Familiarity with independent school culture
- Comfortable working in a technology rich environment
- Effective interpersonal skills to establish connections, build trust and rapport with students and parents
- Desire to help students achieve personal success
- Proven work ethic and a high level of integrity
- Excellent professionalism
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- High level of initiative, energy and motivation
Southridge offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Preferred candidates may be required to complete a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
To apply for this position, please visit our 'How to Apply' page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. The closing date for this posting is February 25, 2019.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.